Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Getting Ready for a Pajama Party...with a Recipe, Too

I loved pajama parties when I was young.  Staying up all night, giggling, telling secrets, eating junk.  These days I love getting a good night's sleep more than any of those.  However this holiday weekend I'll be enjoying a pajama party again thanks to Ann of Gorgeous Fabrics (so aptly named)    Gorgeous Fabrics Pajama Sew Along     Her pajama sew along got me to commit to two sewing projects.   I dislike commitment so I'm quite grateful to Ann for pushing me to make this decision.



Plan 1 is to make the nightgown from the McCalls pattern # 4218 .
I like the front tucks and side darts which give it a little shape without clinging.  I'm using more of a wonderful crepe backed satin rayon that I've used previously for sleepwear....Kwik Sew # 2981

 Patternreview for my three versions of KS 2981









For Mr. Lucky I'll make another pair of flannel pants from Simplicity #8082.  I made him  a pair when he was up north a few years ago and he seems to enjoy wearing them so he deserves another set.  That flannel will come from a local sewing friend with an amazing "collection."





 Lastly I'm considering doing a tracing of an Edith Head designer Vogue pattern, #1560.  I don't look anything like the model on the pattern front (oh, no, Jane, you're just being modest, I can hear you saying) but I think the dress would make a lovely nightgown in a lightweight knit without the zipper.  You can't tell from that tall, tanned Amazon on the pattern but it has an upper bodice with bust darts, a center front and a back seam and narrow straps which cross in the back.  I won't get it sewn this weekend but the sew along is putting it to the front of the queue for a first fitting.


Here in the US it's Thanksgiving weekend, my second favorite holiday after July 4.  We'll be spending the day with local friends and all I have to bring is an appetizer and a dessert.  I'm using Cooks Illustrated/America's test Kitchen Cookbook for two of my go to recipes.  Here's their great Cheese Coins :



Makes 50-60 coins

8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups all purpose four
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t paprika
2-4 T ice water

1.  Pulse all ingredients except the water in a food processor until combined, about 12 pulses.  Transfer to a large mixing bowl.  Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of water.  Squeeze the mixture with your hands to form a ball, adding more water as necessary.  Form the dough into two 10 inch logs and wrap each tightly with plastic warp.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

2.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice the logs into 1/8 inch thick coins and place on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning the sheet around midway through that time.  Cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Hmmmm, sharp cheddar, butter, flour, what's not to like.

1 comment:

  1. You reminded me - I haven't made cheese coins in quite a while. Happy pajama sewing. And Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, opinions, advice and questions. I just ask that we all "play nice."